Accident Reporting

Sometimes, in the case of head injuries, for example, a child may become ill hours after an injury occurred and it is therefore essential that the parents or carers of the child have details of the injury.

  • Make sure that you record any accidents or injuries which happen to a child while they are in your care
  • If you are a childcare provider on the Early Years Register and/or Childcare Register, you are required to notify Ofsted and in some cases local child protection agencies if a child suffers a serious accident or injury whilst in your care
  • Schools and nurseries are also responsible for the welfare of their employees and visitors as well as pupils. Under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR) some accidents must be reported to the Health and Safety Executive HSE

Read more about injuries which must be reported here: Resources

All organisations, including early years settings, which handle personal information about individuals must ensure that they follow the guidelines set down by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Read more here: Resources

Watch this video from Ofsted about what you need to tell them:

Note: You will need to watch the video all the way through before you can go on to the next step in the course.